pandoraculpa: (Prom- Tezuka)
[personal profile] pandoraculpa posting in [community profile] wtf_hollow
So, after rereading everything of Prom I could find on the Hollow, I came to the realization that there were lots of bits and bobs that probably exist only in transcribed texts, or even more ephemeral pieces of communication. Because there are certainly more details that I can recall about that monster of a story than actually live in the published Prom posts. So I decided that it would probably be smart to do a deep dive into my *highly* nested folders (my current document storage- especially archived folders- are assembled in a fashion much akin to the construction of the Winchester Mystery House) and see if I could dig up any of the aforementioned ephemeral bits.

Which is how I found this. It's just a scrap of a thing, barely more than 500 words, but I'm gonna jettison it out there anyway, in the interest of getting more material safe in one place. Before you ask any questions though, I have no recollection whatsoever as to how this ties into the story. In fact, I only have some inkling as to what may be going through certain people's minds because of the working title of the document- "shoulder injury". So, this is me, chucking random pinecones at hornets' nests. Did you miss me?



It is the first spring tournament.

It happens after school, overlapping the track team's practice, and so Ed is more than happy to sit on the bleachers behind the players' bench and watch the matches. Roy has complained more than once that he wished Ed would show up to watch him run, to which Ed archly explains that he is not some simpering fucking girlfriend who's going to ogle his ass while he runs around in circles. “At least they're hitting shit,” he says, and lets Roy meet him there after showering.

And the school team generally gives a pretty good show. Fuji's shots are nothing short of amazing, and Ed has never seen anyone beat Ryoma. And then there's the team captain, Tezuka, who barely needs to move at all, drawing the ball to him like a fucking magnet, and delivering shot after shot with the effortless grace Ed's only accustomed to seeing in upper-level martial arts. Pretty good shit, really.

He likes to watch Tezuka's matches, and to discuss them afterwards with Ryoma. Ryoma is always willing to talk more when Tezuka is the subject of conversation, something that Ed finds frankly hilarious because he's pretty sure the taciturn boy isn't aware of this. Also, Ryoma's got a damn good eye, and Ed's learned a thing or two about the sport, listening to his friend analyze the match. They generally have a good time, arguing about who missed what opportunity, and how this guy's form was technically better, and even if Ed doesn't really care about the matches, he loves a good debate. And anyway, it keeps his mind off of what flirting Roy might be up to with those dicks in his club. Fucking bastard's always showing off, and Arai's never around now that he's dating Morinozuka-senpai.

But today, Ryoma doesn't want to talk. Specifically, he doesn't want to talk about Tezuka, and Ed frowns as the other boy irritably shrugs off his assessment of the match that's wrapping up. His eyes fix on the court, ignoring the attempts at conversation until Ed actually shakes the chain link fencing to get his attention.

“What?” he snaps, still riveted to the arc of Tezuka's swing, and not even relaxing when the final point is scored and the crowd begins to cheer.

“Fuck, are you listening? I've said the same damn thing twice already!”

“Great,” Ryoma replies, his gaze following his captain striding forward to shake hands with his opponent over the net, and Ed snorts.

“It's gonna be fuckin' great when this fence isn't between us, and I can kick your ass for ignoring me. What I said was...”

“Later,” Ryoma interjects, grabbing his bag and walking away before Ed's jaw quite has time to hit his chest. Because sure, Ryoma's a rude little bastard, but not like this. Too competitive to walk away from an argument, too self-assured to think his opinion could be wrong; he's always willing to debate tennis. It's like he lives for that shit, and yet...

Ed's thoughts slam abruptly to a halt, as his eyes drop back down onto the now-deserted bench, where Ryoma's racquet lies, quietly forgotten.


.

(no subject)

Date: 2020-01-12 02:17 am (UTC)
evil_whimsey: (PromRyoma)
From: [personal profile] evil_whimsey
GAAAHHHHH. (okay, so pretend I just attached a flashing RED ALERT beacon gif, right here.)

oh man, that's a good setup, wow, hoo boy. I do remember us tossing out the speculation of this idea, waaaaay the hell back in the day, and tossing pinecones at a wasp's nest is a very apt description for where you've gone with the idea. I like it, very much. As an opening volley, it's got 110% of my attention, instantly.

(and just for the record, I'm locked in a major battle with brainfog and general ADD, but word-by-word I am gradually, painstakingly slowly getting down the Season2 meeting of Mori, Barnes, Arai, et al. Jesus the fucking ADD is nightmarish, but I'm very glad you posted that snippet up there too, 'cos that is some good stuff, oh yes indeedy.)

Profile

Junk Drawer of Crack

March 2020

S M T W T F S
12345 6 7
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031    

Page Summary

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags